Sunday, February 20, 2011

Winding down the blog and moving to the Other Side of the Universe

It came to me today, while I was at the gym, that it is time to wind down Dispatches of a rookie mom of one.

Change has been the theme of the last year. I've had plans change, said goodbye to relationships that were very dear to me, took up running, lost 20 pounds in the process and concluded that change is sometimes very necessary.

The biggest change is yet to come. We've sold the house. We've bought a house in Orleans. For those who don't know Ottawa, Orleans is an east end suburb. I like to call it the Other Side of the Universe. From Kanata, it takes about 30 minutes, depending on the traffic. When we were looking, I thought it would be highly ironic and amusing if we ended up moving to the east-end as we are staunch west-enders. The west end is awesome, we thought. We'd never leave.

Moving to Orleans, in part, was a financial decision. Yes, we could have moved to either the south or north end of Kanata or even up the road to Stittsville and settle for something we didn't necessarily want, but the house prices are a tad steep. Then there was the bus times to consider. We have it pretty good where we currently live. Moving to the north or south end of Kanata and even Stittsville would result in a longer bus ride. Also, there is a what-the-hell-let's-move-to-Orleans attitude. We don't know Orleans. But who is to say this is a bad thing? Stepping out of your comfort zone can be a very hard thing to do.

Moving, along with my growing disdain to the mommy industry (a totally different post) and the fact that my so-called freelance job zaps every ounce of energy when it comes to writing, it is time to wind down the blog. I've got ideas for another blog, but I'm putting them on hold for a couple of months. It has been a good run, and although I do reserve the right to change my mind at any moment, sometimes change is necessary.

1 comment:

  1. Noooooooo!!!! What a loss ... You and your blog????? Seriously worse new of the day....
    Are you going to chuckle club on Friday?? We need to catch up before you move to the next universe..
    Hugs
    Trace

    ReplyDelete