Monday, May 11, 2009

When plans don't go according to plan

Most times I am realistic, but sometimes I can be so naive. I have agreed to do some freelance writing work, which I am very excited about. In my head my plans would go something like this: put darling daughter down for her morning nap. Call multiple sources. Interview multiple sources. Review notes. Write stories while darling daughter takes a leisurely nap in the afternoon. File stories with editor that same day.

Obviously, I have a nine month old baby so my plans don't or just won't, on principle, go according to plan. Reality is something like this: fight with darling daughter for her to agree to take her morning nap, which usually lasts for 30 minutes. Quickly call sources. Find out sources are too busy or not in the office to talk to me. Curse. Curse some more. End cursing session when hear darling daughter wakes up from nap. Call sources later in the day while darling daughter plays in her play yard. Pray that source doesn't hear the nursery songs streaming from darling daughter's Vtech discovery nursery farm. Because you know, nursery songs playing in the background sound so-oh professional.

Oh, writing stories is a whole different story in itself. Writing doesn't get done during the day. Period. Even naptime doesn't bode well for writing. Even if I manage to get in the mood to write, it is usually comes to a screeching halt when darling daughter wakes up. Plus, she is just too cute not to pay attention to, even when she is playing quietly in her play yard.

So I'm not too sure how work at home moms work at home. Some days I can't get the clothes from the washer into the dryer between the hours of 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. I'm still trying to get my groove and writing is certainly during daytime hours is a work in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment