Friday, June 26, 2009

The point is this: we need Canadian content

Right at this present moment, I am listening to the finale of The Point on CBC Radio One. The Point, an hour long show hosted by Aamer Haleem, that invited Canadians to listen and join into the conversations and debates on the topics of the day. It was my kind of show. I always enjoy panelists and pundits debating subjects, even if the topics can be considered a bit trivial. The show is a victim of recent CBC cuts announced to make up for its $171 million shortfall.

Another downer is Ontario Today. It has been reduced from two hours to one. I really enjoy listening to this show as it is not only informative, but entertaining as you learn about current events not only happening in your own backyard, but in different areas of the province. Even though I hate gardening, I faithfully listening the show's regular garden segment. (Did you know only primates are allergic to poison ivy? Apparently cows like the stuff and birds like eating the berries). I guess I should be thankful the show wasn't cancelled altogether.

One of my Sunday traditions after watching Coronation Street was tuning into CBC Sunday. It has been cancelled. No more witticisms made by Evan Solomon and Carole MacNeil. *Sigh*

So my point is, CBC has done it once again: screwed me over, pardon my language. I should really know better from previous experience. I used to watch Riverdale, a soap opera that ran after Coronation Street, and it was cancelled. Da Vinci's City Hall, which was a fantastic show, was cancelled after one season. This is Wonderland also got the boot. Yep, I've learned not to get too attached to CBC shows because eventually they will be shown the door.

Despite my grumblings, I have always given the CBC a second chance. Lately, CBC Radio One has been playing constantly in my house as it helps me to retain my sanity. Listening to people talk about the topics of the day makes me feel connected to the outside world. It is sad as a nation that we are losing this important programming. Although the CBC has been criticized by some suggesting the public broadcaster is no longer needed, I disagree. Canadian content is important. You aren't going to find stories important to Canadians on CNN or Fox News. Yes, we have private Canadian broadcasters, but they are fighting for their corporate lives. Here in Ottawa, A-Channel eliminated its 6 p.m. and 11 p.m. newscast, resulting in less choice for viewers when turning into local news programming. And it looks like Canwest Global is teetering on the brink of bankrupcy. It is hard times in the media industry. As the Cinderella song goes, Don't know what you got (till it's gone). Hopefully no more national, provincial or local programming will be shown the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment