Friday, April 24, 2009

I make baby food, part three

Okay, so I have yet to post my results of my baby food experiment. What can I say, other than it is a work in progress.

For the last five days I have been making baby food, one food at a time. Monday it was bananas and pears. Tuesday it was apples. Wednesday it was sweet potatoes, followed by squash on Thursday. Friday ended with an exciting pureeing session involving carrots.

I'm exhausted. If I never puree another carrot in my life, I'll die a happy girl.

Oh, the books and websites make you believe that making baby food is easy-peasy. It is as simple of making your own mini-factory assembly line in your kitchen. What these authors fail to mention is that if you have to deal with a fussy, teething baby who won't let you out of her sight for more than one second before bursting into tears, the assembly line isn't all that efficient or productive. Let's just say that darling daughter spent a lot of time in her high chair as her mother peeled, chopped and pureed fruits and vegetables. Her contribution to the process was dropping many toys onto the floor. Oh, I should mention that production on the assembly line slowed down when darling daughter burst into high pitched wails when the blender was on puree mode. Apparently, loud noises aren't her friend.

I've learned many things this week. The following are my insights.

I hate pureeing squash. It is so messy. My kitchen looked like a bomb went off when I was done. I was covered in squash and so were the counters. There is a reason that spaghetti squash is called spaghetti squash as its flesh is very spaghetti-like. Therefore, it is hard to puree. Out came the hand mixer before half of the squash was transferred to the blender for a full puree session. This resulted in darling daughter going into full-wail mode.

Carrots are a lot of work. You'd think that carrots would be the easiest food to make for baby. After the chopping, steaming and pureeing, I thought I'd have at least 16 baby cubes of carrot puree for darling daughter. Surprisingly, this isn't the case. Last week I made carrots and I only got four baby cubes worth. Today session which involved peeling and chopping three pounds of carrots resulted into producing 10 baby cubes.

The dishwasher is my best friend. David Suzuki would frown, but I run my dishwasher at least once a day, especially when I'm making baby food. All the dirty dishes, including the toys that darling daughter throws on the floor during our food making session, are placed in the dishwasher.

Anyway, the blender is put away, the baby cubes are neatly stacked in the freezer and darling daughter is good for baby food puree for a couple of weeks. Now, I just have to go find my sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment