Monday, March 15, 2010

Springing ahead gives me a headache

This morning when my eyes popped open, I first thought it was 5 a.m. because it was pitch dark in the bedroom. So for a few minutes while I had an internal debate with myself if I should or shouldn't go to the washroom, I tried to squint at the clock on the cable converter box to see what time it was. No deal. Couldn't see clearly. So I unbundled myself from my warm cocoon and headed to the washroom. While on my way to the washroom, I glanced at the cable box. The time of 6:23 glowed back at me.

What?!? 6:23 a.m. You have to be kidding me. It is too dark out to be 6:23 in the morning.

Damn you daylight savings time.

I hate, hate, hate switching to daylight savings time and giving up an hour. It takes me about a week to get my body adjusted to the new time change. I seem to have no problem to switching back to standard time. Perhaps it is due to the fact we gain an hour.

The switch over to daylight savings time got off to a very rocky start. Surprise, surprise, darling daughter decided she didn't want to go to sleep on Saturday night. She got to bed late and she got up early. Trying to juggling a much needed morning nap with the usual afternoon nap was difficult in lieu of the time change. So while we tried to ensure that we nipped the overtired factor in the butt, both dear husband and I tried to get our bearings. As the afternoon wore on, I kept on glancing at the clocks to see what time it was. When 7 p.m. rolled around, I started to feel exhausted. And it was no wonder as darling daughter did get up for an hour between the hours of 5 and 6 a.m. (or was that 4 and 5 a.m. on the old time)? When 10 p.m. rolled around, I was ready to hit the hay.

While it may be nice to see the daylight hours extended past 6 p.m., I'm not looking forward to waking up in complete darkness for the next month. Until my body adjusts and I wake up to sunlight, pass the Tylenol because this springing ahead business gives me a headache.

No comments:

Post a Comment