Monday, November 8, 2010

Crock Pot Mondays


I'm not a fan of Dijon mustard. In fact, it hasn't been granted any space in my refrigerator until now. A lot of the slow cooker recipes I've used lately have called for Dijon mustard. Yuck. I don't like the taste nor the smell. I like to ignore the Dijon mustard requirement and replace it with traditional North American yellow mustard. Yum! However, I have since learned that some people may not consider yellow mustard real mustard. And since most recipes I'm using call for the Dijon stuff, I broke down and bought some last week.

I wanted to try Stephanie O'Dea's margarita chicken recipe, which calls for Dijon mustard. When I was putting the sauce together yesterday, I could detect the tangy smell from the Dijon. I wanted to kick my butt. I really, really don't like Dijon mustard and at the time I thought I should have gone with my gut and substituted yellow mustard.

But I'm glad I decided to experiment as this recipe is the most tasty dish I've made, to date, from the recipes on Stephanie's blog. There were absolutely no leftovers and I really wanted to make it again, as in today. It was super yummy and it was a huge hit. As I didn't have any margarita mix, I substituted three tablespoons of lime juice. I bet this sauce would taste wonderful with pork tenderloin.

I've decided that I will no longer ignore the Dijon mustard requirements of any recipes. Although I have granted some room for a bottle of Dijon in my refrigerator, none of this mustard will grace any sandwich I make.

No comments:

Post a Comment