Monday, November 1, 2010

Crock Pot Mondays


Orange chicken anyone?
I've been waiting to try Stephanie O'Dea's orange chicken recipe for awhile now. I bought the ingredients a couple of weeks ago. It has only been out of sheer laziness on my part that I haven't made this recipe earlier. As I've said before, I like assembling meals. I hate cooking. The chicken requires a bit of cooking prep before everything goes into the slow cooker.
I'll preface my comments by saying I did like the recipe, but it was a tad too sweet for my taste buds. I think the next time I make this recipe, I'll forget dredging the chicken in flour and browning it because it didn't seem to work for me, plus I hate cooking. I'll reduce either the amount of brown sugar or orange juice concentrate and add a bit of five spice. Since discovering five spice, I like to add it to some dishes that need a bit of zing.
If you are like me and don't have juice in the house, I scooped out about half of the orange juice concentrate from the can, zapped it in the microwave for about 40 seconds to thaw it out and left the remainder of the concentrate in the can and placed it a freezer bag. Now, the next time I make this recipe I don't have to go out and buy orange juice. What can I say? I'm cheap that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment