Tuesday, November 2, 2010

De-junking the junk drawer


When I was growing up, we had a junk drawer. If you ever needed anything -- pen, pencil, thread, needle, piece of paper -- you looked in the junk drawer first. Twenty years later, not much has changed as I still believe in the existence of the junk drawer.

But the junk drawer has been feeling a bit neglected, I do believe. It is full to the gunnels, as dear husband would say. In fact, it is overflowing. Good luck trying to find anything without it overflowing its drawer banks. It has been at a no vacancy levels in terms of accepting new junk for about three months now. When you get to the point where you have to yank or shove the drawer to either open or close, you've got a definite junk drawer situation.

Today I decided it was time to de-junk the junk drawer. I found old pregnancy tests (yes, I know gross, but until today it was hard to let go of the first tests that notified me the little bean I was pregnant with became darling daughter). I found an old hospital bill of $113 for crutches, removable cast and an ambulance ride. I also found $15 Singapore dollars as well as some good old Canadian Tire money. Old pens that no longer worked, broken magnets, an old wallet all were dejunked, along with a bunch of other stuff.

The junk drawer still has its junky qualities to it. There are pens, elastics, a bunch of hardware odds and ends, several small containers of floss, scissors, Swiffer cloths and finger nail clippers still littering the bottom of the drawer. Granted it still looks messy, but again, what else do you expect from a junk drawer?




No comments:

Post a Comment