Saturday, July 11, 2009

That shirt is $30.50?!? No matter, I'll take it!


As I have alluded before, darling daughter will soon turn one. To mark this momentous occasion, I decided she needs a birthday shirt, preferably a “It’s fun to be one” shirt. Last night I hopped into the car and drove down to the Ottawa Trainyards to the Carter’s store. If you have never been, do go. I love that store as it is the only store that has onesies long enough to fit darling daughter properly. I’ve seen the “It’s fun to be one” shirts during previous shopping expeditions at Carter’s, however, they didn’t have any in stock. With my hopes dashed somewhat, I jumped into the car this morning to Bayshore in hopes one of the many children stores at the mall carries birthday shirts.

After asking around at two different stores and getting negative answers, I trudged to the high end clothing stores in the mall. I say trudge as I don’t like to shop there. Don’t get me wrong, it is a lovely store, but way out of my price range. There is too much temptation as everything this store stocks is so darn cute, but pricey. I keep telling myself that darling daughter has simple tastes, and for the most part, consignment stores can accommodate her clothing needs.

Luckily they had birthday shirts. Although they don’t say “It’s fun to be one” they do say “birthday girl.” As I admired the pretty pink shirt with the adorable pink polka dotted cupcake, I glanced at the price tag. I think I stopped breathing for a second when the numbers $30.50 flashed before my eyes. $30.50, I gasp. You’ve got to be kidding me, I thought to myself.

Staring at the T-shirt, I debated. Should I buy it? I thought. Is it worth the money? Of course it isn’t worth the money, my inner voice snapped back at me. But darling daughter only turns one and she’d look cute as a button in this shirt, it added. My mind quickly went into overdrive as I began to think if I can get some mileage out of this shirt. She’ll wear it at a birthday celebration with her paternal aunts and uncles, she’ll wear it on her actual birthday, then at her birthday playdate and then at a birthday party at her great grandmother’s house, I reasoned. Although I may not get my $30.50 worth out of this shirt, I may come close enough to it.

As my mother always said, a fool and their money are soon parted. I soon found myself standing at the cash, handing over $32.03 to the salesclerk. I told myself not to look at any of the cute merchandise displayed on the walls because if I can justify purchasing a $30.50 T-shirt, I can likely whip up some justification in purchasing the $44 pink cupcake jumper I had admired for a brief moment.

I keep on telling myself that she only turns one once. *Sigh* This is becoming my mantra as I spent $35 on supplies for her first birthday party later this afternoon. Oh well, as I said before, and as I will continue to say until her birthday, she will only turn one once. But I don’t think Gail Vaz-Oxlade would consider this a valid excuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment