Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Cake disaster


There is a lot to be said for those who decorate cakes for a living. I tried to make a birthday cake for darling daughter and this was the result. I will admit, it isn't pretty, but I should get an A for effort.
I like to bake, but I hate to decorate. My idea of decorating a cake is icing it and tossing some sprinkles on top. This time, I tried to do my best. I wrote Happy Birthday and tried to snazzy up my usual decorating technique by adding some pink rosebuds along the cake's rim. I should mention that I added a tonne of icing on top to fill and hide a crack that formed on top of the cake. However, by the time I went to bed, the cake was in a sorry state as the icing started to slide down towards the platter.
In the morning, the cake was a sorry sight. The crack had grown bigger and most of the icing had pooled at the bottom of the cake. I certainly had a cake disaster on my hands.
Obviously, my cake decorating skills leave much to be desired. Luckily, I have a very creative friend who helped me (I really shouldn't use the word helped as she did all the work) decorate 24 cupcakes for me tonight. Friends are great, especially those who are talented enough to decorate cakes and cupcakes. The next time a loved one's birthday rolls around, I'm leaving cake decorating to the professionals.

No comments:

Post a Comment