Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A walk down memory lane

The other day while shopping at Zeller's I spotted a very pregnant woman. I'm finding myself very emotional these days as this time last year I was preparing for darling daughter's arrival. I couldn't stop myself from taking a sneak peak at this obvious pregnant woman and neither could others. When you are pregnant people look at you with curiousity and awe. Yes, some times you feel beautiful and other times you feel like a freak show by the way some people look at you. However, I realize now that people are curious as to how big you can get, while others look at you in awe because you are carrying a miracle. When I was very early on in my pregnancy, a nurse told me and dear husband that the stars basically have to align for a woman to get pregnant and retain the pregnancy. If you think about what events have to transpire from conception to birth, it is a damn miracle that there are six billion people roaming the face of the earth. But getting back to the freak show comment, I once had a friend ask me if I had a basketball underneath my shirt. She meant well with her comment, but it still kind of stung. I tried not to stare at this woman too hard because I remember what it is like to be on the receiving end of stares. In the remaining days of my pregnancy, I recall getting odd stares while shopping in Ikea. I thought it was strange. But as I have learned it isn't all that odd as people are curious because you are carrying a miracle. Well, that's what I like to think, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment