Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The big blowout



It was bound to happen. You can't hold it in forever.

Today is day two of the three-day potty method that has now become my life. At this point I'm a frazzled mess. My arms are sore from bolting up the stairs to catch accidents as they happen. I'm tired from being up so early in trying to get darling daughter to release her morning pee. (The kid held it in from 8:30 p.m. to 6:30 a.m., and amazingly wouldn't let it go. I had to tell her in order for her to have some juice at breakfast she had to let go of the liquid she had inside her). I'm exhausted from telling darling daughter, "Tell mommy if you have to go pee, okay?" for the thousand time. And I'm tired from being in the house all day with no adult interaction.

While things have been going relatively okay in the pee department (there have been accidents, but it is all a part of the learning process), movement on number two has been slow. I know she has been holding it in. Today at lunchtime there was absolutely no sign of number two. I knew if I slapped a diaper on her butt she'd likely do her business, but I was (and am) still determined to wait it out. You can't hold it in forever.
Despite waking dry from yesterday's nap and this morning, she had a massive blowout today's nap. There was poop, there was tears, there was pee and there was a mess. However, there was movement. Hallelujah! After telling darling daughter it wasn't the end of the world and these things happen, the tears stopped flowing. We both agree that the next time we'd try our best to get it in the potty. (However, this remains to be seen). I hope by her going in her underwear, she'll now realize that (a) it is okay to poop without a diaper (b) pooping in underwear doesn't feel nice and (c) pooping in the potty is much better than pooping in underwear.

Tomorrow is the last day of this three-day potty training method. Although the author of this method claims your child will be potty trained at the end of the three days if you follow her method to a T, I realize that we will likely have a while to go, especially in the poop department.

No comments:

Post a Comment