Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Lawn signs: ugly or public displays of political allegiance?

There is a saying that you should never talk about three subjects when you are in polite company: religion, sex and politics. I usually try to abide by this policy, but sometimes I just can't bite my tongue.

Before darling daughter, I was a newspaper reporter. The job was low paying, but overall, I loved it. One thing I loved was covering elections. I've always found politics fascinating, especially municipal politics. On October 25, Ontario residents everywhere will be casting ballots in municipal elections. With summer coming quietly to an end this week, candidates will be hitting the gas pedals on their election campaigns.

Earlier this evening as I was trying to get laundry done, I heard the door bell ring. It was a canvasser, trying to sell me on the traits of the candidate he was campaigning for. I tried to look mildly interested before I politely accepted the campaign brochure he presented me. I know that sentence may sound like an oxymoron as I've stated I love elections, but I just didn't feel like it was right for me to spout off to this dedicated volunteer as to why I wouldn't be voting his candidate. However, if this candidate had rang my doorbell instead, I would be peppering him with various questions, one being his stance on property taxes and if it is a realistic policy.

Since it isn't in good taste to talk politics while in polite company, I won't name the name of candidate in question. I've met the candidate before. He is a very nice man, but he won't be getting my vote. And that's okay because that's what democracy is about.

I forgot about the canvasser until I returned home this evening. While stopped trying to find my house key, I suddenly spotted a lawn sign with the name of the candidate in question blazoned on a lawn sign posted on my neighbour's front lawn. Great, I thought. Yay, an ugly lawn sign for me to look at for the next two months. Perhaps I don't care for the sign because I don't agree with the candidate's platform or the fact that lawn signs are ugly. I don't know. But I need to remind myself that it is in my neighbour's right to publicly display his political allegiance with that lawn sign, despite the fact they seem kind of useless and old fashioned.

And I also need to remind myself that it is election time and lawn signs come with the territory. At least I know my neighbour will be voting. That is definitely a good thing. In order for democracy to work, we --meaning us voters -- need to get out to the polls. So between now and October 25, I urge you to get to know your candidates and post a lawn sign or two, if you must.

No comments:

Post a Comment