Thursday, September 2, 2010

My moment in the spotlight



I belong to a local online moms group. It is a wonderful group. As well as the in-person events hosted by members, we talk online and offer virtual events, such as Mom of the Moment.

I can't really take credit for Mom of the Moment. Although I "host" MOM, it was never my idea. The premise behind MOM is that each month one lucky mom is randomly chosen from a pool of moms. In turn, she is showered with little gifts and cards by the participants who have signed up for the event. It is pretty cool idea. Each month I enjoy going to the card store, finding a card for the lucky mom and buying a little something, usually a Second Cup gift certificate, and popping my mail in the Canada Post mailbox at the local pharmacy. Although I participate, I never thought I'd get chosen as MOM.

When I returned home from our Prince Edward Island vacation, I was surprised to learn that I was August's MOM. Since I wouldn't be home to do the monthly draw, hosting responsibilities were temporarily taken over by the group's head organizer. Before I left for PEI, the card was ready to go with the intention it would be mailed once I learned the name of the lucky MOM. It was certainly a surprise to learn that lucky mom was me.

All month long I've been enjoying the cards and the little presents. I must say, MOM is a great pick-me-up, especially on horrible potty training days when I've literally have had to deal with poop all day. Since there are so many, my cards are strung across a piece of string in my living room. They create a garland of sunshine of sorts, especially on days when I'm not having the greatest of days. I think I'll be keeping the cards up for awhile. Looking at them instantly puts a smile on my face.
Thanks ladies for shining the spotlight on me this month. It was a lot of fun. And I hope September's lucky mom enjoys the spotlight as much as me.

No comments:

Post a Comment