Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Half marathon dreams

Summer is over.

This is the conclusion after I hung up the phone with my friend and running coach, C, yesterday afternoon. We have a " running date" this coming weekend. It sounds like hills will be involved. I haven't done any hill running since May. Ugh. She also mentioned an alternative, but it sounds as painful as hill running. I think that option may involve running eight kilometers. Double ugh.

I was very upfront and honest with C. Although I have been running faithfully all summer, I have been quite lazy. I haven't ran more than 4.1 kilometers for months. I consider four kilometers a long distance run. I'm scheduled to run in the CIBC Run for the Cure on October 3. I know I won't have any problems running the five kilometer route, but I'm not looking forward to it as there has been an element of laziness in my running throughout the summer.

And if it is any consolation for me, C hasn't ran this summer. She doesn't run in the summers. But for me, I must run, even in the most humid, sticky days. I don't have a choice. If I don't run, I feel antsy and unbalanced. I can't afford to feel those feelings. During our conversation, C mentioned that we should do the Race Weekend half marathon. Although months ago I was all gung-ho to do a half marathon, I now have my doubts. The other night while running a 4.1 kilometer route, I started to wonder how I even ran a 10 kilometer race in June. Was I nuts? And am I nuts for contemplating running a half marathon? I could be.

Time will only tell. Hills are fun, C tells me. Horrible but fun. If I can survive a hill run this coming weekend, maybe, just maybe, I might start considering a half marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment