Friday, September 10, 2010

Are your parents in?

I don't like interacting with door-to-door salespeople. I find these encounters awkward. From time to time we get unwanted solicitors knocking at our door. Most times it by sales representatives trying to sell us hot water heaters. I've got one. I'm good, I usually tell them before I shut the door. Sometimes salespeople from cable companies attempt to woo us with offers of discounts. Tonight it was a representative from an energy company showed up on my front doorstep.

I could ignore the doorbell, but that would be rude. After all, it is municipal election season and candidates are on the prowl for support. When I opened the door I knew I was in for a sales pitch of some sort. She introduced herself as a representative from one of the many energy companies that have flooded the market in recent years. I wasn't in the mood for a sales pitch as I had a headache and feeling a tad nauseous.

Are you responsible for paying the energy bills in the household? she asked.

Nope, was my reply.

Are your parents in?

This question threw me for a loop. My parents in? Are you kidding? I may look young (despite for the grey hair) for my age, but I don't look teenage young. Maybe it was my vacant stare or my dishevelled appearance that caused her to ask the question, but regardless she had made my entire day.

Nope, I replied before she left my doorstep.

I must point out that I didn't lie when I answered her questions. Dear husband is in charge of paying for the energy bills and my parents aren't in. They live an hour outside of the city. So nope, my parents aren't in. Thanks for asking. And thanks for making my day, lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment