Friday, September 24, 2010

How a container of sour cream cost me about $13

I will preface this post and say that I'm not very proud of myself.

Darling daughter and I went grocery shopping this morning. Darling daughter is into stacking these days. She even stacked the contents of her sandwich at lunch. While we were grocery shopping, she stacked the container of sour cream I had placed in the cart on top of some canned veggies. Toddler clumsiness and gravity soon took over and the container of sour cream took a header onto the floor.

I was a poor example for my daughter and put the container of sour cream back into the dairy cooler. When I was leaving the store, a heavy feeling fell over me. I knew I should have taken the container with me to the check out counter and offer to pay for it.

I believe in karma. This may sound silly, but I'm afraid that I will be reincarnated into an earwig as penance for the number of earwigs I've killed this summer. I knew when I got behind the wheel of the my car to go home that I would pay for my not-so-good deed. And my payback has come in the form of a club pack of chicken thighs. I bought chicken thighs on quick sale. They expire tomorrow. The lure of 30 per cent off the regular price was too much and I bought them. Since they expire tomorrow night, I started cutting them up for a stir fry. I soon noticed that they don't smell right. In fact, they smell a bit fishy. Now I'm leery of using them. Right now they are sitting in plastic baggies in the refrigerator for dear husband's final inspection. I need a second opinion on the smell.

In full meal planning and budget mode, I called the store to see if I could get my money back. While dialing the number, I knew I was pushing my luck. The woman who answered told me the store's policy is not to refund money on quick sale products. Although she offered to transfer my call to the meat department so I could discuss the issue further with a staff member, I declined I decided to accept this experience as my penance for the sour cream incident.

Although I'm a bit annoyed that I'm likely out $13, I have learned some lessons.

1. Don't let toddlers play with dairy products. It will likely spell trouble.
2. You take your chances on buying quick sale products.
3. Karma always kicks you in the butt so go with your gut and do the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment