Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Nanas are better than mommas

I knew it would eventually happen. I just didn't realize how much it would sting.

Darling daughter spent this past weekend with her beloved grandmas -- my mother and grandmother. My mom was on babysitting duty as I went to a wedding. Darling daughter spent the weekend colouring, playing with dolls, having a tea party and other fun stuff that involves a great amount of spoiling, which I don't mind. She doesn't see her grandmothers that often.

When I returned to my grandmother's house for the night to relieve my mother of her babysitting duties, I was greeted to darling daughter sprawled out on the bed. Instead of a smile and a sweet hello when I woke her up to reposition in the bed so I could crawl into it, I was greeted with sad sobs and questions as to where "Nana" was. "Nana, Nana, Nana," she cried. It broke my heart.

It broke my heart because (1) she wasn't all that happy to see me as I was not Nana. And (2) she was so sad that her Nana had left. I could relate to darling daughter's feelings as my grandmother was a rock star in my life when I was growing up. Grandma could do no wrong. This was the woman who took us to the beach, taught me how to knit, made us cookies and would repeatedly make us Kraft Dinner for lunch, despite eating it two days previously.

So I wasn't surprised that there would be crying when we left Nana's house on Sunday. "No want to," was the response I quickly received when I informed darling daughter that we had to hit the road. There were lots of tears shed before we pulled out of the driveway.

So not only is darling daughter a Daddy's girl, she is also a Nana's girl. I'm not surprised. She takes after her mother, who was and is still Nana's girl.

1 comment:

  1. We have so been there. Kasey once had a 15 minute tantrum by the front door after my mother in law left. It broke my heart. IT lasted for a good year that she would freak out whenever she had to leave grandma. She seems to be over it... I hope.

    ReplyDelete