Friday, August 13, 2010

So long sippy cups. You've served us well



This week we said goodbye to sippy cups, all except two. However, one will be getting the boot soon and the Sigg is too pricey to chuck. After a quick wave goodbye from darling daughter, they were dumped into the recycling box. I'm all about freecycling, but I think sippy cups are one of those personal items that just can't be freecycled.

It has been less than a year since we stopped breastfeeding and went to sippy cups on a full-time basis. About three weeks ago, darling daughter took a big interest in drinking out of cups. When it comes to some areas of my parenting, I'm not known for my consistency. I'll likely take the lazy way out. I'm not saying giving your kid a sippy cup is lazy because sippy cups do serve a great purpose, but when darling daughter starts to show interest in something new, I'm a bit slow to react because I don't like change. Sippy cups are so easy. You definitely do take your chances giving a toddler an cup with no top. But since we were going on vacation and I wasn't keen on bringing the sippy cup collection with us, I decided not to resist change and go with the flow. So I started giving her cups. She took to them quite easily. Good thing too because for the duration of our vacation, she was drinking out of cups and water bottles (but she needed assistance with those). When we did eat at restaurants, she was drinking out of cups with straws, which was amazing because I didn't know she knew how to use straws.

When we returned home from Prince Edward Island, I decided that it was time to say goodbye to sippy cups. Yes, there are messes, but they can be easily cleaned up. Also, there is more space and less clutter in my Tupperware drawer, which makes for a happy momma.

No comments:

Post a Comment