Monday, August 30, 2010

Decluttering one little task at a time


Lately, I've been busying myself with small decluttering tasks. After last fall's massive decluttering of the basement, most of my clutter is in check. But you have to keep on top of clutter before it gets too out of hand.

For the last week, I've been taking about 15 minutes out of my day to do some quick decluttering. Despite some kinks, the method has been working swimmingly. First on the list was the junk and personal mail that needs to be shredded. This is always a work in progress. Things were going well until I clogged the shredder. Unfortunately, it no longer works because of a massive paper jam. Either I buy a new shredder or find someone who is qualified to take it apart and clean it. I haven't decided what I'll do so the paper pile grows.

Another thing that desperately needed to be decluttered was the front of the refrigerator. Cluttered with magnets and pieces of paper, I did a quick clean and voila! Now I can see my entire refrigerator. It has been awhile since the front has been paper and magnet free.

The cupboard under the sink got a quick cleaning as well as I was trying to kill time while waiting for dear husband to get home. It has been a task that I was putting off too long. The space under the sink is like no-man's land. You know it is there, but you really don't want to deal with it. Now it has been dealt with.

Feeling like I should do more decluttering, I cleaned up the mud room this afternoon. With Dyson in hand, I sucked up all the sand and vacuumed the rugs. Now I'm not so self conscious when people come over.

I hope to continue with this decluttering trend through the fall as the clutter never seems to end.


No comments:

Post a Comment