Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Take your judgemental attitude and shove it

Although I'm new to this motherhood thing, I have learned one thing: we all judge ourselves as mothers. For the most part, I am the both the judge and jury when it comes to the parenting decisions I have made for darling daughter. Am I feeding her too much? Am I feeding her enough? Is she getting enough breastmilk? Is she nursing too much? Is she sleeping enough at night? Should her morning nap be longer? And the list goes on and on . . . But what I don't need is other mothers judging me.

A couple of weeks ago, I felt like I was verbally attacked for my decision to stay at home with darling daughter once my maternity leave is up. I have been debating on becoming a stay at home mom since darling daughter was born. I won't get into the details as I am sick of feeling compelled to justify to other mothers the reasons of my decision. Even in this modern age of choice, not everyone is supportive of women staying at home to raise their children. I don't even like discussing the subject with other mothers, in fear of offending someone or having someone judge me.

Some women may not approve of my choice, but regardless I have to find good, quality child care for my child. And who else would be better than me -- darling daughter's own mother -- to provide it? Somedays I don't feel like I'm making the right choice and other days I think it is the best choice I could make for both my daughter and I.

So to all those mothers who like to judge others, take you judgement attitude elsewhere. I already have enough on my plate than to deal with you, thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment