Wednesday, June 9, 2010

52 weeks: a photo essay



Recently, dear husband sent several photos of darling daughter to his parents. After they received the package, my father-in-law thanked dear husband for the photos, but he had a question: where was I in the photos?

I wasn't included in any of the photos as I hadn't taken any photos of me and darling daughter together in months. This is likely due to the fact I've been in group photo withdrawal for the last four months.

I've been meaning to blog about this project for months, but the subject slipped my mind. Anyway, photo Wednesday seems like the perfect opportunity to blog about it. In February, I finished my 52 weeks with darling daughter photo project. I should preface that this wasn't my idea. I got the idea from an online moms group. The premise of the project is to take a photo of you and your child (or children) once a week for a total of 52 weeks. They can be posed photos. They can be photos of you reading together, or playing in the park. The possibilities are endless. At the end of the project, you have a treasured keepsake. And it is a way for moms to get photos of them and their little ones together as moms are usually the photographers of the family.

I started the project when darling daughter was nearly six months old and it ended when she was 18 months. I have photos of us doing laundry together, her watching me knit, blowing out the candle at a family gathering to celebrate her first birthday, reading stories, playing with toys and at the park, craving a pumpkin at Halloween and decorating the Christmas tree. While a good majority of the photos were taken by dear husband, some of them were taken by myself.

While I was happy to finish the 52 week project as it took some work, I was a bit sad to see it come to an end. Obviously, I wasn't that sad to pick up the camera and start on 104 weeks with darling daughter. I'd like to do it again, but I'm not too sure when. I wonder if darling daughter would be willing to participate in the 52 weeks with darling daughter -- the teenage years?

No comments:

Post a Comment