Thursday, June 24, 2010

All shook up (not really)

Yesterday, everyone seemed to be riled up about the 5.0 earthquake that hit the West Quebec area. The downtown building that dear husband works in was evacuated. Reporters covering an NDP news conference scurried out of the room. A man I met on a street hours later told me he immediately left the building he was in when the ground started to shake. Everyone seemed to be talking about the earthquake.

At the time of the quake, I was reading my blog roll, reading recent posts. Moments before sitting down to my laptop, an electrical inspector popped by to inspect the electrical system. At first, I didn't know what was going on. I thought it was a big truck driving by because there was a loud rumbling and the house started to make strange noises. Either that or the electrical inspector was doing something really weird to my air conditioner. I don't remember any shaking, just noise. I figured it was an earthquake as when I looked out the back yard, I could see my back neighbour's picture window shaking. Nothing fell or got broken.

Once it was over, I peered outside. There were some people looking confused as me, wondering what the heck went on. After double checking that darling daughter was still asleep (and she was) I went back to reading blog posts.

The following makes me sound like a bad wife, but it never dawned on me to call dear husband to see if he was okay. This is likely due to the fact I didn't realize how big the quake was. Apparently the cellphone system jammed as people tried to contact loved ones. He called later, saying his building had been evacuated and he was waiting to go back inside.

It is weird that so many others felt the quake. I didn't. I just heard noise. So that's our quake experience. Not anything earth shattering. I'm just thankful no one was hurt or seriously injured.

No comments:

Post a Comment