Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The magic of magic looping



This post is for all the knitters out there who hate using and fiddling with double pointed needles. If you haven't already ditched those darn needles for magic looping, you should. My friend K got me onto magic looping. She had mentioned it to me and her tip came in quite handy when I was making a sweater. For whatever reason, I couldn't get the sleeves right with the double pointed needles I was working with. It looked like there was a run down each side of the sleeve. After a quick magic loop tutorial on knittinghelp.com, I got those sleeves done. And I was hooked.

Basically when it comes to magic looping you are knitting small diameter knitting projects on a long cable needle. When you get the hang of it, the technique is is quite ingenious as well as simple. It looks a bit complicated at first, but once you get the hang of it, it is quite addictive. I've magic looped two longie legs at the same time. I've magic looped sleeves. I've magic looped the legs, arms and body of a sock monkey. Right now, I'm magic looping a small baby hat. It is much easier than using double pointed needles. The other day I had to add more length onto a sweater. Instead of using the cable needles I used to knit the body of the sweater, I had my long cable needles handy (same size as the smaller needles I had used) and started magic looping.

Although I still occasionally have to use double pointed needles, my dpn usage has been cut down significantly directly because of magic looping. My new knitting motto is when in doubt, magic loop. You can never go wrong when you magic loop.

1 comment:

  1. Okay - that's just adorable!!
    I remember you mentioning this technique to me a while ago... i haven't tried it yet... I really need to!

    ReplyDelete