Friday, June 25, 2010

Going to the movies in the middle of the day

The following tasks are on my things-to-do list: buy knitting needles, drop off items to Goodwill, do laundry, cut up veggies, see a movie.

I haven't seen a movie since New Moon came out in theatres last November. The other day, dear husband was talking about his busy Friday, which included going to an Italian restaurant for lunch. The day before, he had a pork pulled sandwich at a chicken and ribs fest happening on Sparks Street this week.

Where is my Italian lunch? Where is my pork pulled sandwich? Where is my lunch hour? (Actually, what is a lunch hour? I can't remember what a lunch hour is. But I'm sure it doesn't consist of my child begging for food or brazenly stealing food from my plate, minutes after she's finished eating.)

Today is a daycare day. They've been happening rather occasionally over the last couple of months. Sometimes they happen once a week. Sometimes twice a month. The last daycare day I spent a good two hours washing down walls. Not exactly fun. I could have washed more walls. I could have started the shredding of a pile of personal papers that have accumulated in my recycling bin. I could have done laundry. But instead I got my purse, grabbed a sweater out of the closet and went to the movies. It was a nice distraction. I saw Killers. (Who knew there was so many assassins in suburbia?) I ate a bag of popcorn and laughed.

I've never been to the movies alone, but if think about it, seeing a movie is one of those activities you can easily do by your lonesome. Plus, it is cheap! I only spent $6. Obviously, not everyone can sneak out of the house or office to go and see a flick in the middle of the day. But if you have the time and the means, I highly recommend it. Two hours by yourself, with no demands being made of your time, that is priceless at a fairly reasonable ticket price.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE it! I've actually always wanted to go to the movies by myself... you've inspired me to add this to my 'bucket' list... :)

    ReplyDelete