Friday, December 10, 2010

Channelling my grumpy self

It must be Christmas. I'm grumpy. So grumpy in fact that I quickly sent a letter off to my city councillor about the city's green bin program. And I'm not done. I'm going to write a letter to the editor, too because that's how peeved I am.

Dear city councillor,

The reason I am writing you is to make you aware how some residents are being discriminated against when it comes to the green bin program. I wouldn't normally use the word discriminated, but since my tax dollars are going to operate the green bin program, I expect the city to give me the proper tools for me to fully participate in this program.

I live in medium density housing. As such, the city provided me with a 47-litre bin, which is smaller than residents who live in single detached homes. The reason the city gives for giving me a smaller bin is that I don't produce yarn waste. Yes, this is true. However, my bin is usually full to the brim as we prepare most of our meals from scratch as it is a healthier way of eating.

Since the city is now picking up green bins every two weeks, I now have a problem. My husband struggled to get the bin out to the curb this week because it was so heavy. We couldn't dispose of any more organic waste if we wanted to because it was so full. I called 311 to see if I could upgrade my green bin to a larger size or get a second bin. I was told in order for me to have a second bin, I would have to purchase one at a city client centre for $35.

As a taxpayer, I find this ridiculous. I am already paying for this program through my tax dollars. The green bin that I already use isn't free. I paid for it with my tax dollars. In my opinion, the city isn't giving residents the proper tools to participate in this program because the bins are too small. I have friends who live in Pembroke, Ontario, which has been operating a similar organics program for years. The bins Pembroke provides its residents are at least twice the size, if not more, when compared to Ottawa's largest bins.

I refuse to spend further money on this program. So any excess organics waste I produce this winter will likely be put in a garbage bag, which will head to a nearby landfill. I'm sure the city could give out more green bins if it wanted to. I am one of a handful of residents on my street who participate in this program. Most of my neighbours dispose of their waste in garbage bags. So here I am, a resident wanting to fully participate in this program but is unable to because the city won't give me a green bin that fits my needs.

Sincerely,

Me

No comments:

Post a Comment