Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Weight loss taboo

You may find the following post a bit vain. But what I am about to write has been on my mind for awhile.

Today I cleaned out my closet. Most of the clothes are going somewhere, anywhere, but other than my closet. They don't fit. Most, from my pre-pregnancy days, are too big.

I've lost weight. This year alone, I've lost more than 15 pounds. I'm aiming for another 10, but we will see how it goes. If I consider my pre-pregnancy weight, I've lost about 40 pounds. There may be something to be said for gestational diabetes as it kept me on the straight and narrow during the last trimester.

Lately, I've been checking myself out in the mirror at the gym. Not in a vain way, but in a curious way. The running shirt I bought in May is too big now. I had to get rid of a bunch of Lululemon clothes recently because they just didn't fit. The shirt that I bought during Race Weekend is starting to feel loose. We sent photos to dear husband's parents and they've said they can see a big difference in the way I look. It is hard to tell because I see myself in the mirror every day, but when you put on a pair of pants on and you are wading in them, then you start to realize you've lost weight.

Although weight loss is a big industry, people don't rarely talk about the losing weight part of it. You've lost weight! How much? Just a bit. Well you look great. End of conversation. Recently, I was knitting some ladies and the subject of weight loss came up. One woman said she had lost some weight and was in the curious position of having no clothes that fit. I can relate. Right now, I'm down to two actual outfits, three if I wear my skirt. It is a weird problem to have. You have no clothes that fit, but you are reluctant to go out and buy more because you either hope or know you are going to lose more weight. I told her that I was in the same situation. Although we both agreed that it was a topic that isn't often talked about (likely people don't want to hear you complaining that you've got no clothes because none of them no longer fit), the conversation soon ended. Again, it is a taboo subject.

I really don't have a solution to what many could consider to be a non-existent problem. I guess I'll keep on doing what I'm doing and consider breaking out the cheque book and buying some clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment