Thursday, December 16, 2010

Sometimes being grumpy does pay off



Last week I wrote about how I sent a quick email to my city councillor, complaining how I was being discriminated against by the city's green bin program as the city wouldn't upgrade my bin to a larger size or give me a second bin. I was basically told I had to stick with the status quo of my 47 litre bin or buy a new one for $35.

Upset, I wrote a letter, railing against the whole injustice of it all. Yes, I may sound a tad over dramatic, but in all seriousness, if the city wants me, and other residents who live in medium density housing, to participate in the organics program, it needs to give us the proper tools to do so.

My letter worked! Monday afternoon I received a call from my city councillor's office, informing me that I can get a bigger bin, free of charge, from the city. (So take that, 311 operator!) However, there was a catch. I had to empty out the bin, including the taco soup that pooled out of the liner bag and froze to side, place it outside and wait for the green bin fairy to grant my wish for a larger container.

Today it arrived. In all its shiny green glory, it stood in a snowbank, waiting to be filled with organic waste. And it didn't arrive a minute too soon as I was in desperate need to get rid of the huge amount of organic waste collecting underneath my sink in a bin liner.

I am a happy girl. Thanks city councillor! How says you can't take on city hall?

No comments:

Post a Comment