Friday, December 31, 2010

Last run of 2010

Today I ran outside. A major feat since I've sworn off winter running.

The above statement is a bit of a lie. To be truthful, I have yet to run outside this winter. Ice scares me. Big time. So I've decided to hoof it on a treadmill this winter. It is damn boring and mind numbing as a count down the seconds before I can push the big red button to end my run. Because today was plus eight, I decided to gear up and run outside. It was nice to breath fresh air for a change.

Today also marked my last run of 2010. I don't know how many times I've ran or how many kilometers I've racked up this year. I lost count in the summer. The Post-it board of all my running tallies is no more. Running is now like second nature to me. If I haven't ran in two days, I start to get antsy and fidgety.

As I write this post, it is hard not to look on the year that was. In some many ways, 2010 was my own Year of Magical Thinking. A lot of crap happened. There was sadness, disappointment, loss and anger. But there was triumph, too. I took back control of my life. In so many respects, I cleared house and refocused my energy in different aspects of my life. I'm a much different person than I was at the beginning of the year.

I haven't a clue what 2011 will bring. Other than running Race Weekend's 10K, there are no resolutions other than to keep on doing what I'm doing. It seems to be working so I'm going to stick with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment