Thursday, August 20, 2009

You know when you are a stay-at-home mom . . .

How could I forget about rush hour traffic?

Apparently I did.

Yesterday I had an 6 p.m. appointment with my friend who is a massage therapist. Since I live fairly close to Hwy. 417, I didn't exactly rush to get out of the house. Although I wasn't exactly running late, but I was pushing it kind of close to my liking. Once I got on the highway, I was shocked to see traffic backed up to the next exit. I had a choice to make: idle in traffic or take an alternative route by getting off at the next exit. I decided to take an alternative route.

For those who don't know me, I'm a very punctual person. I'm so punctual that I sometimes think it is a fault. I started to feel anxiety if I'm running late. I think this stems from my childhood. My father isn't an punctual person. In fact, I joke that he'll be late for his own funeral. My father was in charge of taking us kids to church on Sundays. And every Sunday we were late. This wouldn't necessarily a problem if our pew wasn't at the front of the church. Do you know how embarrassing to walk to the front of the church during the opening hymn? Let's just say as a kid it wasn't the highlight of my week.

After getting off on the next exit, I was still faced with battling heavy traffic. Traffic did peter off somewhat when I got to Hunt Club Road, a familiar route I used to take when I was working. I can honestly say that I don't miss rush hour traffic. I don't miss the stop and go, nor the idling in traffic. I also don't miss the tailgaters. Not having to deal traffic may be one of the more quieter highlights of being a stay-at-home mom

1 comment:

  1. Yes, it's true - us SAHMs forget all about traffic, office attire, weather reports, days of the week...

    ReplyDelete