Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Grrlfriend Market Bag: a great way to lift spirits of others as well as your own



My love affair with cotton yarn continues as I've been busy knitting up a storm with the stuff. In the last week, I've finished three waffle dishcloths and two Grrlfriend Market Bags. If you aren't familiar with the Grrlfriend Market Bag, I suggest you check it out on Ravelry if you are a member. The bag is knitted in one piece, starting with the square bottom (I even got the hang of magic looping the bottom) and then the lace body. It is really quite simple and easy to make.

The bag is designed by Laura Spradlin of Sugar Bunny Boulevard and there is a lovely story behind the creation of the bag. Six months before designing this pattern, Laura became the recipient of a sweater, given to her by a friend. The sweater belonged to the friend's ex-husband. She hoped Laura could recycle the sweater into something else.

Laura inspiration for the bag's design came from a random act of knitting challenge issued by a blogger, asking her readers to knit something for another person who needed a lift in their life. She soon remembered she had the sweater in her possession. Soon the yarn was unraveled, dyed and the bag was created. It was soon presented in its new form to her Laura's friend who gave her the sweater. In her pattern, Laura writes about the bag, "We help to lighten each other's load. We strive to share the burdens of life and aid in the purging whatever might be weighing each other down by replacing it with something that lifts us up."

In total, the sweater made three bags. Laura has been kind enough to share this bag with the world by making the pattern free. All she asks that bags made from this pattern never be sold for profit or as part of a kit.

I'll be making more of these bags, in hot pink. (Details on my hot pink knitting projects will be discussed in a future post). I love these bags. This bag is specifically for darling daughter's sand toys. I could have made it in brown, but I love the colour of this green variegated yarn. It reminds me of my early childhood. It reminds me of the green roof of my grandparent's log house, the green work uniforms my grandfather religiously wore, the green cushions at my grandparent's summer trailer, their green shag carpet (hey, it was the 70s) and the green leafy trees that once shaded my childhood home.

Happy knitting! I hope you enjoy this wonderful market bag pattern as much as I do and that you are able not only to lift the spirits of a friend, but your own through the knitting of one of these bags.

3 comments:

  1. Market bags are such fun, and such perfect projects for hot weather too. Glad you're enjoying the Ravelry Market Bags group!

    I have yet to make this particular pattern, but it's on my to-do list, if not in my queue. If I added everything I want to make NOW to my queue it would be hundreds of patterns long! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love knitting market bags. Not only are they fun to make, it also gives me a valid excuse why I need to buy more cotton yarn. ;) I love the group, too. So many ideas, so little time to knit everything I want to make.

    ReplyDelete