Monday, January 11, 2010

Is this considered playing fetch with your kid?

I felt a little bad today that I threw darling daughter's book up the stairs as an incentive for her to crawl upstairs.

Darling daughter is a pretty keen cookie. If you ask her a direct question that involves her crawling up the stairs (ie: Do you need your diaper changed? Do you want a nap? Is it time for a bath?) she'll run to the baby gate blocking the stairs to the kitchen and point upstairs. After opening the gate for her, she'll head for the stairs.

But lately she has been loitering at the bottom of the stairs, not wanting to go up. Maybe she is getting wise that when I say, Are you ready for nap time?, it is actually time for nap time. Typically, she always has something in her hand: a book, a small plastic dish, a little people figure while she crawls up the stairs. Today, she wasn't really wanting to go upstairs for nap time. So I took the book from out of her hands and flung it upstairs as an incentive for her to begin crawling. It worked. So when she reached the step where the book rested upon, loitering, I grabbed it upstairs and encouraged her to go and get the book. It worked again. Heck, it worked so well that when she reached the top of the stairs, she grabbed the book and waltzed off to her room.

But as I said earlier, I feel kind of bad. It almost felt like I was playing catch with her. Oh well. Some days I ask her Where is your phone? Where is your bus? Where is your sippy cup?, she'll run and find them and bring them too me. It almost feels like playing fetch with your kid. But maybe that totally isn't a wrong thing if it gets them to climb the stairs by themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment