Thursday, January 7, 2010

My car dashboard mocks me

They are back.

Those little bright icons, that suddenly appeared on my car dashboard to alert me that something is wrong with my brakes have returned.

Damn you. *Fist shake*

The story began last week. I had a feeling that something would go wrong with the car, so I wasn't surprised when the ABS and brake light icons appeared on my dashboard. I was left with two options: drive my car and ignore the icons or get it checked out. After an emergency call to the dealership, I found myself talking to a technician who thought it might be nothing. Or it might be something. After killing time by stumbling across a step class at a nearby Goodlife, eating lunch at Kelseys, a quick shopping trip at Costco and a 30 minute wait in the service department's waiting room, I finally got an answer: a broken sensor. Car is safe to drive, the technician assured me, adding there is nothing wrong with the brakes. Damn, how much will a new sensor cost? I asked. Free, the answer. Covered by the warranty. Thank God, as my credit card couldn't stand any more financial abuse.

As mysteriously as they appeared, they disappeared about a day later. Weird. I've been driving the car around for the last week, without a warning icon in sight. But they reappeared this morning, mocking me. I have yet to hear from the dealership as to when they will be able to replace the sensor. So unless they disappear again, I guess the icons will be mocking me as I drive around town.

No comments:

Post a Comment