Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Pushing my buttons

As I have alluded before on my blog I don't like watching television during the day. For whatever inexplicable reason, I don't like watching daytime television (except for The View, but that may be changing soon because three of the co-hosts grate on my nerves . . .). So instead, I usually have the local talk radio station on. I may not agree with what the hosts say, but I feel like I have forged some kind of connection to the outside world.

But now darling daughter has learned a new trick: pressing the television power button. We aren't sophisticated (translated: too cheap to buy one) enough to own a flat screen television. I really want one, but our conventional boob tube still serves us well.

The clicking of the power button on off, on off, on off is usually what I hear when I'm busy in the kitchen. The house can be completely quiet and I suddenly hear voices. It is the television.

So now we play a little game. Darling daughter turns on the television and I turn it off with the remote. It continues for a few minutes before she gets bored and turns her attention to something else, usually climbing on the furniture. Oh the toddler years. They sure are fun, but they can be exhausting.

No comments:

Post a Comment