Monday, April 26, 2010

Gotta run . . . update number six

Sometimes the stars align and you have one of the best runs of your life.

Although I'm new to running, I do believe I had one of the best runs of my life, or one of the best runs to date.

Since running is going so well and I've clearly proven to myself that I can run 5k, I've decided to take my running up a notch. I'm going to train for the upcoming Barrhaven Run for Roger's House 10k run. I've had my doubts that I can run 10k, but I showed myself this evening that I have both the will and the drive to do it.

The plan was to run 7.4 k tonight. The other night I ran 6.2k so I figured I could get to 7.4k, even if I had to walk a bit. Every time I lace up my shoes for a run, I wonder to myself if I can finish it. And every time this thought pops into my head, I tell myself that I will do my best because that's all I can do.

One of the things I'm starting to hate as a runner are dealing with major intersections. I don't want to wait for a red light. I want to run. Running on the spot doesn't do it for me. I hate when my runs are disrupted as it interferes with my momentum. I easily got past the first intersection. Half-way through my route, I had to run though a four-way stop. There was some confusion among the drivers stopped at the stop signs as to who should go first, but I wait for no one. You snooze, you lose, Plus, isn't there a pedestrians have the right-of-way rule? So I kept on running and let the motorists fight it out among themselves regarding who had the right-of-way.

Once again, I didn't have to wait for a red light at the major intersection. By this time I was closing in on the 6k mark. The soles of my feet were beginning to get tired, but I kept on running. My goal was to at least get to the 6.2 mark. Anything after that was a bonus.

Once I got past the 6.2 mark, I found some extra energy. Crossing a busy street (didn't have to wait for traffic), I was on my way to finishing my route, which ends at the top of a big hill. I gathered every ounce of energy I had to run up that hill. Just at the moment I thought I would finish my run, something inside of me pushed me to keep running. Running is funny that way. Just when you think you don't have anything else more to give, you do. I listened to my feet and I ran. Plus, since I didn't have to wait for any traffic, it seemed right to continue and run. Ultimately, my feet took me to my front door.

According to gmap-pedometer.com, I ran for a total of 8.1k. Simply amazing. When I first started running, running a 10k race was in the back of my mind. I thought the goal was too lofty, too far out of my reach. But it isn't. It is in my grasp. Running has been so good for me. It has helped to regain long lost confidence as well as renewed my ability to set challenges and goals. Now thoughts of running a half marathon is now sitting in the back of my head. But that goal seems too lofty, too far out of reach. However, we shall see as I never thought I'd run 5k, let alone 10k.

No comments:

Post a Comment