Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Car seats and vomit is a gross combination

There is nothing like a vomit incident to cut short a family outing.

I am convinced that darling daughter suffers from occasional motion sickness. We’ve had our share of vomit incidents while travelling. One of the worst incidents we experienced was last spring when we were in the States on our way to visit friends. She threw up at a restaurant and then later when we were back on the Interstate, she threw up again all over herself and the car seat. I hate cleaning up vomit from car seats. It sticks to everything and it seems impossible to clean up. It is disgusting.

Since dear husband has the week off, I’ve been wanting to go to a sugar bush. Unfortunately, this week looks pretty crappy weatherwise. But this morning, it looked okay. So after packing the diaper bag, the stroller and an extra couple of coats, we were on our way.

We were two exits away from Kinburn Side Road when darling daughter vomited. It is scary to watch your toddler vomit, especially in their car seat. Dear husband quickly pulled the car onto the side of the highway and we got out to assess the damage. She was covered in vomit. She was in tears. And no wonder. I wouldn’t want to be covered in vomit, either. I thank my lucky stars that I forgot to put her in her new hoodie that I knitted for her. I would have cried if she had thrown up on it.

So we did a quick clean up, got off at the next exit, turned around and went home. Field trip over. *Sigh* After stripping her out of her vomit covered clothes and giving her a bath, then there was the task of cleaning the car seat. Thankfully, water, vinegar and elbow grease got the car seat squeaky clean. But I still hate vomit. Dealing with it is one of the grosser sides to parenthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment