Monday, April 5, 2010

Gotta run . . . update number three

Two separate runs. Two very different experiences.

On Friday, I ran outside with my running coach and friend, C, for the very first time. As predicted, I was a mess. I was unable to get my erratic breathing under control. I felt out of breath throughout the run, due to the fact I was running too fast. I had to take three walking breaks. Even though it was only four kilometres, it wasn't a very good run.

In retrospect, it was a great learning experience. C informed me that I was running too fast. Actually, I run faster outside than I do on a treadmill, she told me, adding that I needed to find my pace, one that suited my breathing.

Today, we ran again. And I had a very much better result. First off, C set the pace. It was slower than Friday's run. My breathing was under control. For me, a good part of running is succeeding in the the mental game. Can I get to the next corner? Can I get to the next intersection? Can I even make the next step?

I ran past the point where I usually take my first walking break. Can I get up the small hill? I asked myself. Yes I can, I replied when I ran past it and to the corner.

More questions started popping into my head.

Can I get past the corner? Yes.

Can I get to the mailbox? Yes.

Can I get to the next intersection near the elementary school? Yes.

Can I get to the end of the street? Yes.

Can I get past the park and to the houses in the distance? Yes.

And this is where it starts to get tricky. In this particular route, there is a hill. In fact, it is a big hill. I don't like big hills. I could change the route and run down it, but I've decided I need to challenge myself, despite the fact that I usually walk up the hill. In fact, I usually walk from the corner, past the park and up the hill. But today, I was in the zone. I dug in and ran up the hill. Once I crested and got past it, I needed to stop. And even though I had to take a walking break, this was a huge milestone as this was the first time I ran so long outside without stopping once. According to Gmap Pedometer, I ran roughly 3.1 kilometres. Amazing! I never thought in my life I'd run 3.1 kilometres. But now I have shown myself that I can.

After a walking roughly two minute walking break, I dug in again and ran the rest of the course. Towards the end, we pushed it, picking up the pace to the finish line. In all, I ran roughly five kilometres when you exclude my walking break. Last week I thought I was nuts to even start running. The goal is to run a 5k race without stopping. Now I am on my way in doing that. And I'm even starting to enjoy running outside. Amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment