Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Falling in love with Ravelry


This week I finally updated my Ravelry account. Ravelry is a free online resource site and database for knitters and crocheters. I've been a member of Ravelry since February 2009. But until this week, I wasn't a big fan. While my friend and fellow knitter, K, speaks highly of the site, for whatever reason, I couldn't be bothered.

A couple of weeks ago, I spent hours sorting through my yarn and needle stash, trying to organize yarn, needles and patterns. In the last year, I've taken photos of most of my completed knitting patterns and posted them on Facebook. But Ravelry is the perfect place to showcase your finished projects. Not only are you showing off your wonderful creations, you are also adding them to the database, which provides valuable insight for fellow knitters about patterns and the workability of yarn. By adding your projects to the database, I think you are also adding to the general creativeness of not only the site, but for fellow knitters. I may see one pattern one way, but another knitter may see it in a different way. It is very cool to see the varying results of your favourite hat pattern. Looking at completed projects and patterns have inspired me to knit more.

Over the last two days, I've updated my projects. I've added hats and sweaters I've knitted in recently months. It is a good way to keep track of what needles I've used as well as materials.

Not that I basically broken my Facebook addiction and live in a Facebook bubble (no news feed at all since I've blocked my friend's status updates) I have the time to devote to Ravelry. While one may argue I'm replacing one addiction with another, I'm inspired by Ravelry to become a better knitter. So for those who are Ravelry, happy knitting. And those who aren't, consider becoming a member. It's free. You'll become inspired, if not a bit addicted. I promise. You can find me under the handle yarnitmomma.
The hats featured in the photo are hats I designed and knitted for a friend's twin girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment