Friday, May 7, 2010

Progress being made on the green bin front

Finally, some good news when it comes to me getting a green bin.

I was hoping to get a green bin last winter before the city rolled out its organics program in January, but due to the fact I live in medium density housing, I was placed in phase two of the roll out plan. At the time I contacted the city, I was told to expect to get green bin delivery sometime this spring or summer.

True to their word, I finally got a letter from the city. According to the city, the property management of the condo corporation isn't all that keen when it comes to the green bin program. In fact, the letter says, "many of the residents may not support the green bin program and they do not wish to have a condo wide delivery of green bins."

To that I say, too bad condo corporation. We already have garage and recycling pick up, what is the problem with organics pick up? As a homeowner and taxpayer, my property taxes are helping to fund this program. It makes absolutely no sense to me to pay for a program and not participate. And I don't want to hear the hogwash about stinky green bins. Either my organic waste sits in a garage can or a green bin. I choose the latter.

I'm not surprised with the notion that many residents won't support the green bin program. Heck, it is hard enough to get some of them to recycle. I'm constantly amazed at the crap people will haul out to the curb. Ottawa residents don't know how good they have it when compared to the garbage restrictions of other municipalities.

Despite the fact my condo corporation doesn't seem all that supportive of the green bin program, I am still eligible for a green bin. After reading the letter and quickly consulting with dear husband, I sent off a quick email to the city, requesting my green bin. It should arrive in four weeks. While I may be the only one on my street to have a green bin, I don't care. I've been waiting a very long time for a green bin and I fully intend to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment