Friday, May 28, 2010

Yes, I can. And you can too!




Walking into the Aberdeen Pavilion at Lansdowne Park this afternoon, a high energy vibe washed over me. And no wonder as hundreds of runners were picking up their race kits in anticipation of Ottawa Race Weekend, which starts Saturday. The vibe only got stronger once I picked up my own race kit. And it became intensified when I spotted John Stanton at the Running Room kiosk.

Stanton is the founder of the Running Room. Although I don't participate in the Running Room practice run nights, I find both its staff and magazine to be inspirational and helpful. Last week when I bought my water belt, I asked a million questions to the Running Room staffer, who patiently answered them. She shared her own experiences, including what it was like to run a marathon the weekend before. She encouraged me sign up for a half marathon in September. While I still have to sign up, her words of encouragement and support have stayed with me.

Ironically enough, last night before bed I found myself flipping through the Running Room Magazine. I find this magazine hugely inspirational because it is filled with stories of real people and their running experiences. I came across an feature advertising Stanton's latest book. The feature had a small blurb about Stanton's humble roots as a runner. When he was first starting out, he was walking and running before dawn in hopes his neighbours wouldn't see an out of shape, overweight soon-to-be athlete hit the pavement. Since entering his first race nearly 30 years ago, he has complete hundreds of race events and founded a company that has helped more than 700,000 people get to the finish line.

His is such an inspirational story. And who can't relate to it? I know I can.

So while I was browsing through the race merchandise, I spotted the man himself. After trying on a race shirt and debating if I should introduce myself, I swallowed my shyness and walked over to him. After quickly introducing myself, I blabbered on how much I love his magazine and his inspirational story. Stanton smiled, agreed with me and thanked me for my kind words. It may sound silly, but meeting a man who has encouraged so many people to run has been the highlight, so far, of Race Weekend.

The high energy vibe that picked up while I was in Aberdeen Pavilion hasn't left me. I hope it stays with me long enough to carrying me over the finish line tomorrow afternoon. Stanton tells people that they are an athlete and they can run, even if they believe otherwise. From personal experience, I know this is true. I never thought I could run. I have proven to myself that I can. And if I can do it, anyone can do it. I'll see you on the race course.

No comments:

Post a Comment