Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Musical beds and an ear infection

We had one of the worst nights since darling daughter grew out of the newborn stage.

The last three night, or has it been four, we've been struggling through sleepless nights. Darling daughter is suffering from a wicked cough and runny nose, which would point to either a damn bad cold or allergies. My money had been on allergies as I was a bad allergy kid, plus the fact her barky cough sounded like a typical allergy cough.

Last night was the worst. Although she got to sleep relatively quickly, she woke up at 11 p.m. And for the next three and a half hours both me and dear husband tried to comfort our barking, snotty child. At one point, I was sleeping on her floor. Then dear husband and I changed positions. Staying true to her morning routine, darling daughter got up at her usual time at 6:15 a.m. And for the next hour and a half, she tossed and turned in my bed. No sleep for me.

Yesterday, I had the good sense to make an appointment with the doctor. While my gut was telling me allergies, none of the allergy medication seemed to be working. So this morning I took my barky, snotty child into the doctor, who surprised the heck out of me when he informed me that darling daughter wasn't suffering from allergies, but from an ear infection. An ear infection?!? You've got to be kidding me. I felt so bad. I had no clue. But at the same time, I was relieved. Don't get me wrong, ear infections are horrible, but I've been suffering on and off with allergies my entire life. Allergies are no picnic. I've heard the old war stories from my mom. At least with a cold or ear infection, it can be treated in a timely manner.

I've got my fingers crossed that we have a better night tonight and the antibiotics kick in soon. Right now I'm running on empty in the sleep department.

No comments:

Post a Comment