Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Trying to turn over a greener leaf



I'll let you on a dirty secret of mine: until recently, I didn't use reusable bags.

I know it isn't very green of me to admit this, but I couldn't be bothered. Sure, I had a huge reusable bag filled with reusable bags in my coat closet, but there they sat, unused. Need a plastic bag, ma'am? Yes, was always my reply.

Regardless of paying for the privilege of carrying plastic bags from the grocery store, I just couldn't be bothered to grab the reusable bags from my closet. I'd forget. Also, plastic grocery bags do come in handy. I use them as kitchen catchers and liners in garbage bins. Can't exactly use reusable bags for that task.

And even if I had reusable bags in my car, I'd usually forget to bring them into the store with me. They aren't much use when you are at the checkout with a cart full of groceries.

About a month ago while I was at Reitmans I came across this reusable bag. For $3, it is kind of pricey for a reusable bag considering they are 99 cents at the grocery store. However, the bag conveniently folds up into a tiny pouch and easily stores inside my purse. I think it was $3 well spent. Since my little purchase, I can't tell you how many times I've been asked if I need a bag, I dig it out and voila! I have saved five cents as well as a plastic bag.

Slowly, I'm starting to remember to bring my reusable grocery bags to the grocery store. It is a work in progress, but I must say this little bag is helping me to turn over a greener leaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment