Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Gotta run . . . update number eight

Race Weekend is in five days and I'm ready.

I've got my fingers crossed that the sweltering weather passes through Ottawa in the next day two and it will be manageable to run Saturday afternoon. This heat and humidity is killing me. On Sunday, me and C, my running coach and friend, ran around a section of the Rideau Canal. Same 9k route. Just hotter. And we even started a half an hour earlier in hopes we'd escape the heat. Although the clouds co-operated for a bit and starved the sun away for awhile, the sun eventually came out, making it unbearably hot. After our run, I had to walk to the grocery store and buy a carton of orange juice to replenish my electrolytes. While water quenched my thirst, I felt woozy. I may have looked unladylike drinking straight out of a carton of orange juice while slowly walking across the parking lot, but desperate times call for desperate measures. Plus, it beats from passing out in the parking lot.

The last two nights I've ran, but only shorter distances. (Both times were 3k runs). I've had to push back my runs to 7:45 p.m. to compensate the weather. And I've also had to postpone any hill running until after Saturday. Raising my endorphin levels so close to bedtime has really screwed up my sleep in recent nights. So here's hoping the weather co-operates for Saturday. The prospect of running in hot, sweltering heat isn't all that appealing.

Good luck to everyone running on the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment