Thursday, May 6, 2010

Running reality check

I’ve been told (by my running coach) that running up hills is a fun activity that I will come to enjoy. At this point of time, I have yet to fully embrace hill running. Actually, in my humble opinion, hills are a bitch.

Sunday, I met up with my running coach and friend, C. She makes running look easy. She’s graceful. Me, not so much. However, that hasn’t stopped me from dreaming of running a half marathon. I know this is a lofty dream, but it is one I aspire to do.

While C has been extremely supportive when it comes to help me achieving my running goals, she has made me pause a bit when it comes to a half marathon dream, especially after our hill running expedition. There is a half marathon in September. I found a 16-week half-marathon training program through the Running Room that will take me up to race day. It is doable, but I have some concerns. Number one: running outside in the summer. I hate the heat. Not too sure if I can run in it. Number two: possible injury. Yes, I ran 8k last week, but that doesn’t necessarily translate in me running 21k. Number three: can I finish it?

After talking to C, she has no doubt that I could do a half marathon, but the question remains what kind of time do I want? If I don’t mind walking a bit and don’t care about time, I’d likely finish it. But if I want a half decent time, that’s when the dream becomes a bit hazy.

As part of the half-marathon training program, hill running is included in the plan. C gave me a bit of a taste (well more of a taste) during our run. Under the illusion we’d go on a leisurely run along the Ottawa River, C informed me we’d run 7k, which included hill running.

Well, didn’t I get a running reality check when I attempted to run up a massive hill. The mission: run up this giant hill with all our might. Crest said hill and run 25 meters before jogging down. Repeat two more times.

Are you kidding me?!? Mission impossible, I thought.

As C ran up the hill like a graceful gazelle, I trudged up the hill like a hippo with all my might. My legs felt like lead and my heart was beating so rapidly that I thought it was going to jump straight out of my chest.

After the first attempt, I thought I was going to throw up. Do you think you are going to die? Asked C. Isn’t it fun? I should mention she was smiling. I think I replied to her comment with an expletive.

I will spare you the gory details, but I will tell you this: I did complete all three hill runs. It wasn’t pretty. It wasn’t nice. But I got the job done. Hill running, according to C, will improve my endurance and make me a stronger runner. She has first hand experience that hill running is important in any half-marathon training.

So I have a date with hill running once a week for the foreseeable future. I still fail to see how hill running is fun. And I’m not too sure if I’m willing to fully embrace it . . . yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment