Saturday, December 26, 2009

All I want for Christmas is a green bin

I was hoping Santa would pull through and deliver me a green bin since the City of Ottawa won't. But no dice.

There was no shiny green bin sitting underneath my fake plastic tree on Christmas morning. Alas, it will be at least summer before I get one. I was so excited this fall. I waited for weeks for someone to deliver a green bin to my front door step. But as September rolled into October and October became November, I wondered if it would ever arrive. I decided to call 311 a couple of weeks ago to figure out if I was ever going to get one.

It took a week (I guess a week is a good response time when dealing with such a big corporation as the City of Ottawa) before someone got back to me. I wasn't home at the time, but according to the voice mail I received I won't be getting a green bin until sometime in the spring or summer of 2010 as I live in medium density housing. I'm not too sure what this means, but I'm a part of phase two. Obviously, the city couldn't spare one of the many green bins that have been returned by upset residents in recent months. So here I wait, hoping for a green bin to arrive to my front door step. As thousands of people scrape their turkey leftovers in their new shiny green bins this Christmas, I'll be dumping my turkey remains in a green plastic garbage bag and hauling it to the curb. Destination: landfill.

1 comment:

  1. That is utterly ridiculous! Not to infuriate you further, but I have a green bin and I live out in the country, on a dead-end road with 6 houses on it . . . you would think that if anyone would have to wait, it would be rural residents! Sometimes I really have to wonder what is going on in the minds of the people who are planning these things . . .

    ReplyDelete