Monday, December 14, 2009

Getting domestic



Today, I made cinnamon rolls from scratch.
I haven't made traditional cinnamon rolls since I was about 12 years old. I vaguely remember making them one Saturday afternoon during a 4-H course. Several years ago, my grandmother gave me a Purity cookbook for Christmas. It has photos and a step by step guide how to make bread and sweet breads such as cinnamon rolls. I thought bringing homemade cinnamon rolls to an upcoming Christmas potluck brunch would be a nice touch so I thought I'd do a trial run today.
After buying some shortening and a rolling pin this morning, I got out my cookbook and started mixing and kneading. I haven't kneaded bread in ages, so I was extremely worried about the rising process. I'm pretty sure it didn't happen correctly, but no matter, I was insistent in finishing these rolls. I rolled the dough out, sprinkled sugar and cinnamon on it, rolled it up, cut it into strips, mixed more sugar and margarine together, assembled mixture and rolls in a pan, let it rise again before putting it in the oven. The end results look impressive, but I'm unsure how it will taste.
We will see tonight how it tastes when I take it to a gathering. I'm pretty proud of my trial run. So proud that I may even attempt to make bread from scratch sometime later this week.


No comments:

Post a Comment