Thursday, December 31, 2009

What is the big deal about Ikea anyway?

Today, I happened to see what it is like when an Ikea store opens for business for the day.

I should point out that it wasn't intentional goal on my part to be there when the doors opened promptly at 10 a.m. I received an Ikea gift certificate from darling daughter for Christmas. I thought about going to Ikea yesterday, but I didn't want the hassle of dealing with a packed parking lot, so I delayed my plans until this morning. The plan was to go to the gym and then to Ikea. I made the mistake of not finding out in advance Ikea's hours of operation. When I arrived in the parking lot at 9:30 a.m., I thought the shopping gods had cut me a break because the parking lot was basically empty. However, this should have been a clear indication to me that the store wasn't opened. I was shocked to learn that Ikea doesn't open until 10 a.m. Ten a.m?!? As if. What store opens at 10? I thought when the locked doors greeted me.

To kill time, I went into nearby Michael's. Lucky for me, yarn was on sale. So I quite happily fed my increasing yarn addiction by purchasing three balls of wool yarn. When I was walking out to the parking lot, I had noticed the crowd crowded around the front doors at Ikea were walking into the store. It wasn't quite 10 a.m. yet, so I figured the store opened a bit earlier. Nope. They were just letting people mull around the cash area, drinking complimentary coffee. The crowd kept on getting bigger and bigger. People crowded around the Ikea employee greeting customers, eagerly waiting for the doors to open. And at the stroke of 10 a.m., Ikea time, the doors opened and people rushed into utopia.

I, on the other hand, sat on a bench, waiting for the crowd to disperse. Instead of going through the front doors, I went past the cashes, walked through the warehouse area and picture frame department to my destination. If there is one thing I dislike about Ikea is the crowds. I don't like to walk behind people, especially gawkers. When I shop, I'm on a mission. I don't browse. I get in and I get out.

So I got my bins, made my way back to the cash and paid for my purchases. I was in and out in 10 minutes. And that is pretty good, especially when shopping at Ikea.

No comments:

Post a Comment