Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The big green machine finally rolls into Ottawa



About freaking time!
While some grumps are railing against the introduction of green bins, I'm celebrating the fact that the city of Ottawa is finally rolling out its organics recycling program. While it will be January before we will be able to use the bins, I can't wait to dump all my organic waste in my new shiny, green bin.
Over the next 12 weeks the city will be delivering the large bins as well as smaller kitchen counter bins to residents' doorsteps. The city estimates the program could divert up to 45 per cent from landfills. I know that in my household that about roughly half of my garbage stream consists of organic material, due to the amount of fruit and vegetables darling daughter consumes. If that material goes into the green bin to be compost, obviously less garbage will be heading to the landfill.
So what can be tossed into the bin? Almost everything, excluding plastics. From leftover food scraps, including meat bones, to dryer lint to popsicles sticks. For the complete list, check out this link.
For years, I have had green bin envy. I have friends who live in Pembroke and they religiously use their bin. They have had access to an organics recycling program for years. After a family barbecue, wouldn't it be nice to toss your food scraps into the green bin, rather than trekking plates into the house and scraping the contents into the garbage can, knowing that material is heading to a landfill site? Every time I cut up rind fruit like watermelon I feel guilty when I toss the rinds into the garbage as I know that is material that could be composted. Unfortunately, I'm not in the position to compost as I live in a condo/townhouse development. This program is going to allow me, and thousands of others, to participate in an important program that is diverting waste from landfill sites.
Yep, I'm excited. I'm finally going to get my own green bin. I hope you use yours. I know I'll be using mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment