Sunday, September 27, 2009

Tightwad guilt


Today I went shopping. I haven't went shopping for myself in a very long time. The days where I'd spend hours at a mall, browsing through the stores are long gone. When I think back to my teenage years, I can't believe how foolish I was with my money. I'd easily spend $80 on a pair of jeans and not give it a second thought. Now I blanch when I spend $30 on a new pair of pants. Let's just say the clearance rack is my favourite part of any store.
But today was all about me as well as my credit card. I fell in love with this blouse. Regardless of its $50 price tag (yes, I blanched when I turned over the tag) I bought it anyway. And I'd like to mention that I got a deal because it was on sale. Then I fell in love with a pair of ballerina flats. Despite the pricey price tag, I bought them anyway. In the end, I spent about $180 on myself. But as soon as I got home, I developed buyer's remorse, a classic symptom of tightwad guilt. I'll freely admit that I'm a tightwad.
But when I think rationally about the purchases I made, I realize I deserve to spend money on myself. Yes, I'm not going to wear this blouse around darling daughter and risk her spitting up on it, but I will wear it out on an upcoming out on the town with the girls. And I will look fabulous (I hope) and that is priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment