Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Labour Day memories

Labour Day weekend, which marks the unofficial end of summer, has come and went. So much has changed in the last year. This time last year I had just returned home after an emergency road trip to my family's home outside of the city. At this point last year, darling daughter was a mere four or five weeks old and refused to sleep. It got so bad, that she didn't sleep from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. So desperate for sleep, dear husband and I packed her into her car seat and drove around the suburbs of west Ottawa, hoping the car ride would lull her to sleep. It worked, until we got through the front door. Her little eyes popped opened and I do believe that is when I burst into tears.

We did manage to get her to sleep. Which meant we could sleep, too. I got about five hours of sleep in when my mother phoned to see how it was going. That is when I burst into tears for a second time, blabbering the baby wouldn't sleep, we were sleep deprived and I didn't know what to do. She persuaded me to come home for a couple of days to allow me to sleep while she looked after the baby. Those two nights were I got a half decent sleep were probably the best sleep of my life. I will always be grateful to my mother in letting me get some well needed sleep during the early days of parenthood.

Now, darling daughter is sleeping through the night. She's been sleeping through the night for months now. I am grateful for that, too. It is just amazing how things can change in a year. It makes me think about what other changes I'll be reflecting on when Labour Day rolls around next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment